Saturday, February 11, 2012

"Parents 'pushing' their limits"


In any case, when the word abusive comes up there is an instant wall that is put up. This is such a touchy subject because some parents do not know the difference between abuse and discipline. Flat out, the difference between discipline and abuse is quite clear. Whenever you diminish a child physically or mentally to the point of destruction is when you need to stop. I come from a childhood where spanking was an okay thing to do. Nowadays parents are either too afraid to touch their child or they step over the line. I believe that spanking is okay. Every child that needs discipline should have a good spanking at least once in their life to know the difference between yes and no; and simply having RESPECT. Now, when it comes to spanking a child a good one or two is enough to get your point across to your child. It is when you reach ten, brushing happens, and loss of consciousness arises is when you need to STOP. Disciplining a child verbally is the same. Once you pass the line of diminishing a child, abuse takes control. Calling your child out for doing something wrong is DIFFERENT than calling your child a worthless piece of garbage. It is so sad that this is even a topic to discuss. There is no reason for abuse ever, yet parents think it is an okay thing to do and use the EXCUSE of 'disipline' in order to do so.

1 comment:

  1. My parents used to spank me when I was little. They only did this when we were really misbehaving and to a certain extent I am sure it worked. Maybe there is a time and place for this but I sort of feel that once you spank a child it is easier to transition into other form of abuse. I am not saying that spanking is for sure "abuse"... but after having gone through this as a child I'm not going to lie it kind of made me scared of my parents a bit. I think that there is an effective way to make your kids behave without hitting them... and after going through this I think that it is a parenting style I will try to avoid.

    ReplyDelete