Sunday, February 12, 2012

"Gunny-sacking"


The element I chose to discuss from chapter three is a verb I believe we all take part in. Gunny-sacking is when we store all of our anger inside and then explode one day because our body can’t handle it. This happens in almost all relationships we have in life. The problem with gunny-sacking is that it can lead to aggressive communication and possibly violent behavior. A lot of times this refers to abusive behaviors in relationships. We shouldn't wait until the last possible second to hold everything in and explode because it is not fair to you and especially not fair to the other person(s) in the current relationship.  My boyfriend and I use to have this problem frequently. He would never tell me that he didn’t like something I was doing until the last possible second and freak out like the world just ended over NOTHING. Because I take a relationship-centered orientation, I am at ease when this  USE to happen. I have gotten him to tell me right away to prevent future feuds. The book uses the example when the other person who is being exploded on says, "If only he/she had something to say. I never knew there was a problem." More often than not, this kind of situation usually ends in a huge feud and or relationships end for friendship and romance. All we have to do is communicate with others to avoid situations like this. By getting troubles off our chest, we can monitor one another, adapt as needed, and avoid little problems turning into bigger ones. When we are assertive with one another we have the most opportunity for significant growth and mutual feelings toward satisfaction.

1 comment:

  1. I have had friends in the past who would hold their feelings in and then one day blow up. It is really hard to have a friendship with someone who does this because the issue is usually something that could have been easily fixed, but has turned into something much bigger because they decided to hold it in. It is definitely not fair for the person on the other end because half of the time they weren't even aware there was an issue in the first place. Being open about a problem is always a better solution for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete