Friday, February 3, 2012

"Inborn Trait?"

Are we born with the natural instinct for conflict? I struggle to come up with a simple yes or no answer because I am pulled between the two. The first thing that comes to mind is that it is a learned trait. The reason I thought this at first is because I am a nanny and has been around kids my entire life. I notice that when kids ''fight' over a toy it becomes an ordeal because of what they see from others. When bigger kids fight, the younger kids follow and copy what the older kids do in that type of situation. So with that thought I originally believed that conflict was a learned trait. But as I read the first couple chapters I realized that conflict may be an inborn trait. As a baby we have the natural instinct to cry when something is wrong; when we have a conflict. We naturally get upset when we feel something other than comfort as a baby. This thought showed me that conflict may be in fact a natural born trait. Thinking that conflict is a natural thing for us to do makes us more human because I believe that being human is all about allowing ourselves to find who we are naturally; if conflict is natural, then our bodies develop more personality and character NATURALLY.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post because of the connection you made to your job as a nanny. It’s true that kids often times feed off each others energy and emotions. This can often times lead to conflict not because of the actual problem , but more because a young child doesn’t know how to act socially when conflict is involved. You made a good point when you said conflict is natural, which leads me to believe that is in an inborn trait. What sets many children apart is how they deal with the conflict that arises, which leads me to believe that it’s the parents role to inform a young child how to deal with conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had trouble coming up with an answer at first. The more I think about it, the more I believe it is a mixture of both. I do believe it is human instinct to have conflict, but I think we have to learn how to handle it. Babies who cannot speak express their needs by becoming fussy when they are upset, which is why I think conflict is an inborn trait. However, as they grow up they learn how to handle conflict by imitating the people around them. I agree that conflict is a natural human trait, how we choose to handle it is something that develops over time.

    ReplyDelete